What is TMD?
Here at Bateman Aesthetic & Restorative Dentistry, we provide treatment for Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMDs) through the use of custom bite guards.
Your temporomandibular joints, or TMJs, are a set of joints located on either side of your face. They connect your jawbone to your temple, and are involved in most of the movement that happens when you chew, speak, or make facial expressions that include your mouth and jaw.
In other words, they do a lot of work. Because of this, they are also highly susceptible to stress. TMDs occur when the joint is strained, dislocated, or injured.
Symptoms of Temporomandibular Joint Disorders
Every TMD case is unique. A wide variety of stressors can affect the joint, making both the cause and the needed treatment different for every patient. However, there are a number of common symptoms that can help you identify a TMD.
- Jaw discomfort or soreness.
- Pain behind the eyes or in the face.
- Pain in the shoulder, neck, or back.
- Earaches or ringing in the ears.
- Clicking or popping of the jaw.
- Locking of the jaw.
- Limited mouth mobility.
- Clenching or grinding of the teeth.
- Teeth sensitivity that is unrelated to a dental issue.
- A change in the way the upper and lower teeth fit together.
Not every case will have all of these symptoms, but will often have several at a time. If you are experiencing any combination of these symptoms, you may have a Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD).
Benefits of TMD/TMJ Treatment
Quite a few of the symptoms listed above involve pain, sensitivity, or discomfort in areas other than the actual location of the TMJ. This may even mask the fact that it is all caused by a TMJ disorder.
However, healing the TMJ will in turn heal these various symptoms:
- Headache Relief | Migraines and headaches are a very common symptom of any stress to the TMJ. This is usually due to the spread of tension from misalignment or stress. That tension can spread all the way to your head, neck, and even shoulders. Treatment of the TMD can remove that tension, allowing for migraine and headache relief.
- Comfort | Popping, clicking, or low mobility while using your jaw may be only a minor inconvenience, but it is still an inconvenience. One that you don’t need to suffer through. TMJ treatment can restore the health and comfort of your jaw.
- Dental Health | Tension or mislocation of the TMJ can cause teeth to grind against each other. This aspect of temporomandibular disorders can directly and dramatically cause damage to your teeth by eventually wearing out their protective enamel. Keep your teeth safe by getting effective TMJ treatment.
TMD/TMJ Treatment FAQs
- Why does my jaw hurt? There are several potential causes for jaw pain, but a very common one is tension in the head, due to temporomandibular injury, stress, or misalignment.
- Can this pain be fixed? Yes. By using custom bite guards, we can relieve the strain on the TMJs, allowing them to properly heal.
TMJ Treatment and Headache Relief at Bateman Aesthetic & Restorative Dentistry in Lehi
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed here, it’s very possible that you are suffering from tension or injury to the temporomandibular joint. Contact our office today via phone, text, or email! We’ll be glad to answer any questions that you may have, and help you come up with a treatment plan that is right for you. Serving the Lehi, Highland, and Alpine, UT areas.